We love our Carolina summers: warm days, cool nights and plenty of outdoor fun with friends and family. If you’ve been dreaming about building a summerhouse near Black Mountain NC or on Lake Lure, NC, a Katahdin Cedar Log Home could be the answer!
We love the look and feel of a log home for vacation time fun. As one of Katahdin’s best log home builders and a long-time dealer, Big Twig Homes LLC has been building stunning summer cottages and cabins crafted from Katahdin’s Northern White Cedar for many years. From Maine to the Carolinas, cedar has proven to be a durable and sustainable log choice that will keep your summer home special for generations to come. The secret to cedar lies in its essential oils that protect against insects, mold and mildew, and allows you to avoid treating with insecticides or other chemical treatments. Cedar also has excellent insulating properties, and with Katahdin’s Energy Envelope System, your summer home can be the source of cozy wintertime fun as well!
The Perfect Features for a Summer Retreat
Katahdin’s amazing catalogue of log home designs (more that 900 and counting!) offers a selection that can suit nearly everyone’s dream summer cottage. Here are some features we love to include in the lake log homes we’ve constructed:
- Lofts— Summer fun includes some cozy sleeping arrangements when all the cousins arrive! A loft area with or without dormers can add extra sleeping spaces, without breaking the budget.
- Outdoor Decks — Expand your living areas with outdoor decks! Decks can double your log home living area and provide a welcome gathering area for barbequeing and socializing.
- Screened Porches— It’s inevitable in the Carolinas: bugs can really ruin your evening outdoor gatherings. Including a screened-in porch can provide shelter from the occasional rainy day and keep the mosquitoes out of your summer plans. Make sure this space is large enough to hold seating. You might want to consider adding a nostalgic porch swing!
- Open Floor Plan — With the soaring purlins and trusses, Katahdin Cedar Log Homes are known for their airy and open interior floor plans. These living areas often combine kitchen and great room so that socializing can continue during meal prep and on into the evening.
- Hearth— Home is where the hearth is! Adding a wood- or gas-fueled fireplace or stove can keep your evenings cozy, as well as extend your seasons. We’ve designed some beautiful stone-faced hearths that really provide a beautiful focal point for your summerhouse main living area.
- Walk-out Basement— When your land has a slope, why not take advantage and include a walk-out basement? These turn underutilized basements into cool guest bedroom retreats and game rooms that won’t dent your building budget.
- Master Spa— It’s your dream, why not equip your log home with a great en suite bath? Adding a big soaking tub or a gorgeous walk-in shower can really enhance your special retreat with luxury. Because it’s a vacation retreat, you won’t need the space for a huge walk-in closet, so why not re-purpose that space for your master bath?
Once you’ve picked the features you want, the summerhome experts at Big Twig Homes can help you design the perfect Katahdin Cedar Log Home to enjoy for generations to come. Give us a call today at 833-BIG-TWIG (833-244-8944) to get started!
Email us at email@example.com